Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pistol Pete!

I visited the "O" again -- my new name for the orphanage. I was greeted by one of the senior adult ladies who was thrilled to see me wearing a sweat shirt! The sweat shirt was one of my son's that I quickly stuffed into the shipment and I am so glad I did! I gave her a big hug. She smiled and flashed her polished gums at me! I handed her a banana and turned to enter the building. As quickly as I entered the building, I was greeted by a few other aging adults who were obviously hungry and the bananas brought smiles to everyone. I am sure they shared the simple gifts with each other. They have rooms with televisions and some board games. Most of the adults simply sit in their layers of clothing and chat with one another. I only wish I knew their ages. The Asian people have the most deceptive skin! You can never truly know a person's age by looking at their faces. How blessed!

I continued to go upstairs when suddenly a shout came over the balcony by "Lee" She grunted at me and tossed an empty shopping bag down to me. I think she was hoping it would fall like a brick and hit my head -- she has a tendency to be a bit mean spirited. I smiled and shouted back XIE XIE! She laughed and told me to come up stairs or at least that is what I choose to believe she said to me. I am still so unfamiliar with the language despite my efforts to absorb it daily! When I reached the top of the stairs the other volunteers on the Thursday team were already in the nursery. Lee is about 14 years of age and very clever! It is my understanding that she has a brain tumor. She is very helpful with the other children, but keeps herself "guarded" when she meets new volunteers. I would probably adopt the same attitude. Why get attached to someone who will more than likely not become a permanent part of your life. Lee noticed the folder I had in my clutches and she wanted to inspect it. I allowed her to take the folder, open it and she began taking the blank copy paper I had brought to allow the children to draw and placing it into the sections of the folder. Lee was methodical in her manner of "filing the papers". As I observed, I expressed my appreciation and told her very good! -- in Mandarin. Lee smiled at my efforts to speak her language. She is a sweet young girl who so needs to know she is loved! I am crocheting a blanket for her for Christmas. I hope she likes the color pink!

The puddles of rain kept us all inside the damp "O" and the children seemed a bit down hearted. The nursery was missing a few of the children. The children who have the ability to sit and give attention to lessons were upstairs in "class". I missed my little gals who have captured my heart, but I am so happy they are learning! One of the cribs held a new baby boy! I say new, he is about one year of age and new to the "O". He was crying and had been for some time. His little shirt was soaked and his face was red. The other infants were eagerly sucking down their formula bottles. I learned that he was not being given a bottle and would be fed with the older children. He was sobbing because he was hungry. I could not stand by and let him continue to sob -- crying for attention is one thing, but cries of hunger pierce my soul. After several minutes of his tears he began to calm down. He snubbed and sniffled for about 30 minutes. Suddenly, one of the older boys who I have pegged as "Pistol Pete" came charging into the room! He is about 2 or 3 years of age. He is filled with character! His joy is evident and he loves life! Pete wears corrective shoes and his presence is known before he is seen! The sound of the shoes on the hardwood floor gives him away! I was so thrilled to see him that I laughed out loud! The baby I was holding suddenly began to laugh too! This gave way for a few moments of joy! Pete proceeded to ride my knee like horse and then wanted to ride "piggy-back" as he had seen me do the day the dentist visited the O.

I searched for one of the older boys and learned that he was still in the "sick room" as I attempted to coral "Pete". The sick room is just across the hall and most of the children are placed there any time they have fevers, rash, or unexplained illness. It is meager - yet needed attempt to keep the children healthy and avoid unnecessary mass illnesses. Anyway, our choir boy was there! He loves to sing! I call him David -- like the Psalmist, but that is not his name. He has the kindest heart and loves to sing every time I see him. We sing, Skinnamarinkadink and various other children's songs every week. I asked him why he was in the sick room -- he pulled his sleeves up to expose a terrible rash. It was unlike any rash I have seen. He pretended to scratch the rash and said boo - how -- I told him I was sorry and we sang together anyway! I took him some paper and showed him how to make paper airplanes. It was so sad to see him totally alone! He had no toys, no books, no televsion and the windows are too high to even peer out and daydream. Ever so often he would quietly slip to the door way of the nursery and peek in. He would be seen by the Ayi's and run back to his "confinement" before being verbally corrected! Of course, keeping Pete in the nursery was the real challenge. Pete loves everybody!!!!!

I can go on for hours at a time about the joy that I see amidst the pain and institutional life most of the children endure. For every smile there are so many tears of pain and loneliness. As I laugh with "Pete" I know that the little one with seizures is stumbling to walk and the others with c. palsy are confined to their metal cribs. I will be sure to get them out of the confinement today if only for a brief walk around the room.

As we prepared to leave today, we quickly attempted to make sure everyone was given an opportunity to enjoy a bite of lunch and then given a diaper change before nap time. Our most petite little gal, who is fortunate to go to class daily, gave me a big hug and smile! I told her that I loved her and I would be back next week -- all in Mandarin. She then smiled with her entire countenance and said very softly but very clearly, "Good-Bye". I nearly fell to the ground! She is so smart! Her only imperfection...a blood disorder. So smart - so filled with life! I hugged her again and told her "very good"! She smiled again and began to lie down for her "rest".

I am so thankful for my husband and children. I was not pleasantly waiting with dinner prepared when Jim arrived home. Instead, he found me drawing with craypas. I was attempting to lose myself in the colors and thoughts of anything but the raw reality that I only have a limited ability to impact the lives of the children at the O. Jim was kind and invited me to share my day with him. He listens with such a big heart and I am so grateful for his support in my efforts. I miss my children. I am so thankful and grateful for the opportunity to have been a part of their lives. They are AWESOME!

I am ever so grateful that we have beautiful children who have grown into young adults. I am so grateful for our own parents and families. The value of family is beyond measure! My prayers for the precious children at the O...life -- abundant life! May they each have days filled with joy and laughter, despite their health or dwelling place! May families submitting requests to adopt children be open to adopt a child that may have a special need...hearing impairment, cerebal palsy, downes syndrome.....for we are all creatures in need of nuturing and parents!

No comments: