Monday, August 25, 2008

Market Time

The markets here are quite an adventure all on their own.  The markets are located in various places throughout the town and you almost always will need to visit more than one to acquire all of the familiar and not so familiar items on your shopping list.   I'm still adjusting to the many smells and sights in the market.  The open meat selection really gets me.  The fresh fish flapping in bags as they are selected for dinner, pigs' feet being chopped next to the fresh veggies and chicken feet...well enough said.  I think I will become a vegan....yep -- except hold the tofu please.  

My desire to learn the language is only encouraged with each visit to town.  I am learning a few local places here and some of the shop owners speak a little English.  They are most helpful.  Most of the local shops carry some western food staples, like Tostitos -- but you better really want them.  They are expensive!   A regular bag of chips will cost about $6.50.  So, rice taste pretty good!

I have found a market just around the corner from our apartment that sells fresh fruits and they are very good.  I biked to town on Monday afternoon and purchased some food for dinner.  Cooking was another experience that proved to be a challenge.  The kitchen is limited on the pots and pans -- well we have two to be exact!  One is a wok pot and the other is a simple soup pot.  The plan was to fix beef stew and rice.  So -- after completing dinner I realized we didn't have any soup bowls.  

We are very fortunate to live here at the Chateau Regency - the staff is so kind.  I simply asked to borrow a couple of bowls from the kitchen and then I was set.  Our personal butler also was so very thoughtful and sent up a beautiful cake on our anniversary.  

They must think I am a bit crazy sometimes.  I feed the koi fish in the pond every day.  They come swimming up to the edge of the pond and Jim says it reminds him of the scene in Evan Almighty when the fish all follow "Evan's" head.   I can be found sitting outside in the sunshine just to get out of the apartment.  The locals do not sit in the sunshine and try to keep their skin light -- but if you know me -- I LOVE the sunshine and don't really worry about the skin too much.   If I can only get a chaise lounge from the indoor pool and bring it up to the lawn, I'll be all set.  That would really get them all talking.  
 

No comments: