Saturday, November 01, 2008

Saturday Shopping!

Today has been just a miserable weather day! Thanks to two visiting AJ employees we were able to get out and enjoy a little laughter. We have been shopping today and once again Jim has proven to be the best "bargain" shopper around! We went in search of a weather proof jacket for me and boy I was so glad we did! We found the shop recommended to us by another couple who lives here in Suzhou that sells name brand hand bags, wallets, and jackets. After climbing the winding narrow steps into the "attic" of the shop, we found a nice display of jackets. Yeah! Only one big problem -- the price tag! OUCH! Never fear -- Jim was near! He began his routine of it is too expensive and the calculator game began. The price tag originally 1680 RMB

-- Jim said, "Too Much!" And he began his exit to the stairs. Now keep in mind that I had found a warm, weather resistant jacket and it fit! We made our way back down the winding narrow stair case -- I swear it seems as if we are in the Alice in Wonderland movie when you climb up the steps to some of these shops. The shop owner was right on our heels -- "I give you much better price" As we are leaving the store, Jim's co-worker is also stating that we can get the same jacket at a cheaper price just down the road.
Jim, "Nope -- too much!" --
Shop owner, "Sir - Sir -- much cheaper sir -- down to $1200RMB"
Jim --"Nope -- too much! I will give you $200RMB final offer!"
Shop owner -- "Sir - I must make money to keep my shop -- I will give you good price -- you friend -- $800 RMB"
Jim, "Nope -- $200"
Shop owner -- "Sir -- it is cold outside -- $800RMB -- very good price!"
Jim - -"Nope -- I'm not cold -- I have on shorts!"
Shop owner -- "Your Tai Tai - she is cold -- good price $650"
Jim - "Nope -- let's go honey." We are now on the street two shops down from the jacket store -- in the rain.
Shop owner, "Wait! I will ask my manager." We continue walking to the corner of the busy street to meet our friends.
The shop owner hollers out..." Ok Ok"
Jim turns around and says OK? 200?
Shop owner -- OK -- $200 RMB

So that means I finally got the warm weather resistant jacket for about $25US Dollars. The original price tag of 1680 RMB down to 200RMB! I am so thankful Jim likes to banter and play the numbers game with the shop owners here -- to me it is a headache -- but I did get a warm very nice jacket.

We also found a hair dryer! Hallelujah! It is quite interesting to find the little comforts you miss are things like, hair dryers, warm jackets, coffee, warm blankets, soft pillows. It is a learning experience here for sure!

We then all walked in the rain to a nice lunch cafe and enjoyed the comfort of a dry shop and warm food! We realized it was getting later than we had planned and so we began our search for a taxi. The roads remain wet and grimy here. I will glad to see the sunshine tomorrow!

No comments: