Friday, October 10, 2008

Hope....

I began my Saturday with a trip to the local orphanage. I have been volunteering throughout the week since my arrival in August. Today, one of the volunteers arranged for a dentist to visit with us to take a quick glance at each child and determine his/her dental needs. It was quite an adventure as one can imagine. Most of the children were eager to have a turn sitting and allowing the dentist to peer into their little mouths with a mirror. Some of course flatly refused!

I am always touched in my heart when I visit the orphanage, but today seemed to be a little bit tougher than normal. I learned that one of the children is getting close to needing another blood transfusion. She is absolutely adorable and so very smart. It was evident earlier in the week that she just wasn't feeling well. She would cry and plead for anyone to hold her rather than walk. If only she could be adopted into a loving family. It is heartbreaking to learn that due to her blood disorder, she can not be placed on the available list. Another child, a boy, was also very clingy today. He has had surgery this year to correct a foot malformation and also his lip. Cleft lip and palettes are common sights at the orphanage. I hope he will be placed on the list of adoption candidates soon. This one cried and ran after me as I had to leave. Talk about a heart wrenching moment!!!

As I attempted to change diapers and clothes on some of the children today, I identified that the center needs clothing! They need shoes to fit each child-- but I only discovered a wardrobe filled with a variety of shoes. Most of the shoes and socks were worn and unmatched. I can only think of the children's feet and how important it is for their little feet to have shoes that fit well. The older children help dress the younger ones...so you can only imagine that they have dressed the little ones in any thing that will fit --or at least come close to fitting. Shoes are secured by shoestrings tied around the ankles -- sometimes too tight. Pants and sweatshirts are worn to a frazzle. Socks....oh how I personally detest matching socks -- but these kids need socks -- so I will go today and purchase socks -- all white -- no more colors that can not be matched. One of the little girls who has downe syndrome came over and attempted to help me find socks that matched for one of the little boys. Let's just say that I was quite amused at her determination to help me. Unfortunately, the socks became a whirlwind of textile all over the floor. The effort it took to place the socks back into the wardrobe without her removing them again and again was intense.

I can not express my emotions at this time. I am sad, but I will pray that soon, very soon, these adorable little children will find a home filled with love that awaits them. I ask that my friends and family please add this group of adorable children to you daily prayer lists. They need socks, shoes, clothing, but most of all they need moms, dads, brothers and sisters.

I am so grateful for the opportunity to visit the orphanage each week. I hope I can continue to be a positive influence of love and caring to each one there --

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I think it is so wonderful that you are getting to "give" in this way! So will I be getting a new niece or nephew out of this job trip?