Tuesday, August 26, 2008

2 Weeks In Suzhou

My arrival to Suzhou began with locating my luggage -- all four pieces and then loading them on a cart -- well make that two carts because one wasn't enough to hold the oversized baggage and trunk.  I then struggled to push the 380+ lbs to the customs agents and then unload them once again onto the screening belt only to load them one more time back onto the carts.  All of this was a solo effort as I was observed by the employees of the Shanghai airport.  I am sure they had a lot to say about one American woman with so many bags!  Ha ha !  

As I carefully pushed the two carts through the arrival doors, I was greeted with a welcome smile and roses from Jim.  He is so kind and thoughtful.  He and the driver took over with the luggage from there -- thank goodness!  

The drive from Shanghai took a bit longer than normal due to bad weather.  Once we arrived here in Suzhou, we found a nice surprise in our room.  The butler had placed a beautiful basket of fresh fruit and flowers in our living room.  The employees here at Chateau are very kind and thoughtful.  Their smiles make the difference!  

We have been very busy for the last few days here -- taking in the sights by taxi and by bike!  Yep -- we purchased bicycles and took the exciting 10 miles back from the bike store to the hotel.  Whew!  I think I can bike anywhere now.  The traffic here in China is very very different than what we experience in the states.  The lanes are mere suggestions as well as the traffic lights....you must be very observant at all times.  I have learned to be fast through the intersections and careful on the turns -- even a right hand turn.  Biking is much more pleasant to me than the taxi rides -- just because you can see so much more of the area.  

Suzhou is growing by leaps and bounds!!!!!  WOW!  I am shocked at all of the construction here.  There isn't a shortage of concrete sales here at all.  The ever growing city is a work in process daily.  Old buildings are removed and new ones constructed to make way for the many new residents.  


I have taken a few pictures of the Humble Administrator Garden and will attempt to post them as well. I am new to the blog world, but hope this will be a great way for me to share our experiences here in Suzhou. Thanks.....

No comments: